Yesterday, the people at Endnight Games released another substantial update to The Forest. Endnight has been absolutely amazing as a developer at putting out timely additions and fixes, as well as continually offering new things for alpha players to entertain themselves with. Combine this with a great sense of transparency and good communication, and its a recipe for a phenomenal indie developer.
This patch adds a foundation system to the games buildings, climbable rope, and (because it can’t be all good news) some new creepy crawly monster lurking in the dark caves of the island…
Full patch notes have been reproduced below, and can also be found here.
This latest update introduces auto foundations to some building types (log cabin, platform, gazebo) giving players ability to choose how high buildings are placed, and having them auto conform to terrain with our new procedural foundation system. (future updates will include ability to manually place these foundations yourself)
Adding the ability to climb rope has opened up a lot of possibilities with caves – and as such we’ve blocked off some of the beach cave entrances, replacing them with holes in the ground with some old rope dangling in. Combined with our new experimental tree bridges and platforms, rope gives everyone a new way to traverse the world.
Multiplayer has seen a bunch of fixes and improvements, but most importantly voice chat! Press Q to bring up your walky talky and communicate with friends. (for those without microphones, we’ve fixed a bunch of issues with the ingame chat)
There’s also a bunch more stuff, new art, bug fixes, balance improvements, new animated plane passengers and more, all listed below
NOTE: Due to the changes to some of the systems, old save games won’t work with this patch – we’re hopeful that the new saving improvements we’ve made to the saving serializer (listed below) will alleviate this for future patches and make occurrences of updates breaking save games much rarer.
As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub or send them in to email@example.com.
- Platforms! Place the log cabin on a slope and procedural platform will be constructed underneath to give it support. No more cabins on side of hills.
- New buildable item: Tree platforms!
- Building height system added Look up to place structures higher (using procedural foundation system) or downwards to place on ground (as in old system)
- Climbing system! Player can now climb rope
- Removed steps from tree houses! Replaced with climbable hanging ropes.
- Added clamp to tonemapper to stop it sometimes turning screen completely black if seeing a very bright pixel. Fixed related issue where bloom would sometimes cause screen to turn black if it found overbright pixels.
- Fixed issue with plastic torch spamming errors, causing a performance drain when using torch light source
- Tweaks to world lighting and fog/ambient colors. Lighter and plastic torch now cast shadows.
- Tweaked enemy density in caves
- Added option to turn off all hud elements in options menu (not recommended!)
- Increased size of rabbit on fire to match world scale
- Small performance optimization on cpu by removing OnGui calls
- Meds will now be auto consumed if health below 20 when picked up
- (single player only bug)Fix for pine tree top heavy not being cuttable
- Fixed missing marigold and chicory plants
- Improved ambient audio zones and fixed outside sounds continuing to play when inside a cave
- Improved cave audio ambience
- Lizards can now be caught in cages along with rabbits (and raccoons)
- Fire Arrows! Press L with bow equipped and at least 1 piece of cloth in inventory
- New falling leaf particles (3x) added and improved look of leaf burst (less bright/unlit)
- New fluff particles added and using a new dust shader (bright in light, dark in shadow particle shader)
- Improved look of torch light – now two tone
- Fixed overbright lights on mutant creepy’s fires and all bombs/held bombs and better balance on bomb explosion particles
- Balance pass on all mutant textures, improved look of skin and put all into same texture value space
- New improved blood particles!
- Fixed issues with sticky bombs
- Fixed enemy skin and player arms sometimes losing ability to receive shadow and appearing overbright
- Fixed molotovs not exploding on impacting enemies
- Improved transition from cannibal village hole to caves using new generic rock chunks
- Log holder is now pushable using push and hold animations
- Fixed audio issue where some sounds would fade out instantly/abruptly
- New suitcase art (6 textures variations, 2 model variations) added!
- Fixed missing mesh renderer at front of plane crash(animated forward hull)
- Animated passengers added to plane crash! – Don’t skip crash!
- Fixed dead lizard normals flipped causing ragdoll to look different than regular model
- Improved look of small shelter (better rocks, better log renders etc)
- Lighter will always light after a limited amount of attempts (was previously possible to attempt to light 20 plus times if unlucky)
- Fixed lighter animation playing continuously when stashing lighter quickly after getting it out
- Improved held item switching sequence (better use of existing animations)
- Pale enemies no longer attack each other or the distorted creatures
- Removed cave beach entrances -replaced with rope climb out areas in lower caves fixing issues with entering caves near ocean
- New molotov weapon art
- Fixed lighter flame being too small visually
- Fixed flare gun making shooting sound when fired without flares (will now make an empty click sound)
- Improved tree falling sound settings
- Swimming sound effects added!
- Tuned/balanced pick up sound effects, eating sound effects etc
- Enemies will now always prioritize visible players over other enemies in combat
- Improved instances of small items pushing player and added max velocity to attempt to stop player flying up into sky
- (multiplayer) fixed bug where some shadows would break/change after respawning
- Improved some environment art, started implementing better cliffs in some areas and higher detail rocks. Added new lake zone.
- New art for (some) cave stalagmites and stalactites
- (hopeful fix) for players sometimes swimming even when not in water area
- Player will now stash weapon when swimming!
- New creature added! – Check the caves.
- Delay added to combat music so it won’t continuously trigger when entering in/out of combat
- (multiplayer)Walkie talkies added! Press Q to communicate in multiplayer games.
- (multiplayer) Fixed issue where items needed would sometimes stay on screen depending on if client/server destroyed a blueprint
- (multiplayer) Fixed issue where returning to start menu would break game and turned back option in menu
- (multiplayer) Fixed Enemies not showing blood particle fx on clients when they are hit.
- (multiplayer) default player cap increased to 8 along with option to go up to 128 players (for adventurous players only! not recommended)
- (multiplayer)Fixed Suitcases not being replicated over the network and existing only locally for each player
- (multiplayer) Fixed Mutant ragdolls not replicated properly on client
- (multiplayer) Fixed Wall built in MP vanishing instead of turning into logs when destroyed
- (multiplayer) Fixed issue where remote players would not alert enemies via sound detection
- (multiplayer) Lizard skin player armor now visible by both client/host
- (multiplayer)Fix for overlapping chat text
- (multiplayer)Fixed some Log duplication bugs
- (multiplayer)Fixed Logs invisible for client in certain spots on the map
- (multiplayer) Fixed issue where only newly built effigies would only be seen by host
- (multiplayer) Fixed client/host sometimes having differently positioned yacht location
- New art added for some of the cave entrances
- Re-worked save game system so future updates will (likely) not erase save games to work!
Improved animal spawning in world- less chance of dead zones where no animals ever show up.
- Fixed issue with weapon upgrades have no or very little effect