Sometimes, you come across a Kickstarter that you can’t help but feel you should have know about beforehand. A sort of a ‘Missed the Crowd-Funding Train’ effect. I’m happy to say that I can avoid this feeling with Duelyst, a Tactical Turn-Based game being created by Counterplay Games. Duelyst has already had huge success, achieving 93% of its funding goal in just over a week, having raised $63,515 (at time of writing) of its $68,000 goal. However, with 24 days left, you still have plenty of time to fund this incredible game and say “I was there at the beginning!”:
Duelyst is a tactical turn-based strategy game with ranked competitive play for PC,Mac, and the web.
The focus is on squad-based combat on a tactical map for intense, fast-paced 1v1 battles with the simple winning objective of defeating your opponent’s General.
Duelyst is brought to you by veteran developers and creators from Diablo III, Rogue Legacy, and the Ratchet & Clank series.
Duelyst plays like the classic tactics games of our childhood while avoiding the standard tropes from the past. You’ll never need to spend hours on resource management or grind random encounters to get to the next fight.
Instead, our goal is to vigilantly remove every extraneous feature from the game to focus on its heart and soul: squad-based tactical combat.
- Platform: Available for PC, Mac, and modern browser (Chrome, Firefox).
- Business Model: Every battle unit and spell is earned by spending time playing the game. As a result, this is NOT pay-to-win! We want to be very clear that our game is buy once, up-front. We will not be free-to-play nor do we intend to have monthly fees. Just like you, we want to buy a good solid game that we can go home to and play regularly with our friends.
- Customize Your Battle Squad: Recruit a large roster of 100+ battle units and spells each with different abilities that interact in unique and endless ways during combat. No squad or battle will play out the same.
- Skill-Based Tactical Combat: The emphasis is on unit positioning, understanding your squad’s capabilities, anticipating your opponent, and maintaining board control. At it’s core, it’s a tactical tabletop board game without all the manual math calculations.
- Online Multiplayer: You no longer need to coordinate with your friends for a game night. Now you can find equally matched players to play head-to-head anytime in Ranked or Draft mode on various competitive tiers.
- Short Sessions: Each game session is designed to be played in less than 30 minutes. Now you can play competitive skill-based games without investing hours towards a single session.
- NAGF (Not Another Generic Fantasy): The world of Duelyst has an expansive identity and mythology where you will see gorgeous landscapes filled with rich, complex characters, untold stories, and unraveled histories.
- At Launch: 5 Factions with a roster of 100 battle units and spells. We may have additional factions, battle units, and spells by achieving our stretch goals.
Now, before we talk about how good this sounds, we need to bring up one thing: The lighting effects. Just Look at this:
Like anyone, I enjoy a good looking game, but I rarely take a step back and say “Woah”. The beautiful atmospheric artwork and pixel-art sprites in Duelyst do work really well together, oddly enough, and the whole universe looks very cool. I addition, it is clear that the team designing the game have very clear ideas of where they want to go, what kind of game they want and the kind of community they want to build.
If you’d like to help out with the Duelyst Kickstarter, head here!