Announced today, longtime indie favorite Awesomenauts will be going free to play on May 24th, preceded by a huge patch that dropped yesterday, just ahead of the game’s fifth anniversary next week.
Awesomenauts, released in August 2012, is a “multiplayer action platformer, or platforming MOBA” . The game has received a number of major updates since then, including a level editor and Steam Workshop integration. Ronimo Games successfully Kickstarted the games first expansion in 2013, and since then Awesomenauts has grown into a competitive MOBA with over 2 million players
Dropping yesterday, Awesomenauts Patch 4.0 brings with it a new progression system, a heap of customization options, and a lot of significant changes to prepare the community for the move to free-to-play.
Here is a breakdown of what this patch includes:
– A completely overhauled tutorial and beginner experience to help make the game more accessible. Though the game has always been fairly easy to pick up and play, the MOBA genre is inherently challenging to get into because of the highly competitive matches.
– A new progression system allows players to level up both their profile as well as each of their characters. Both will unlock their own unique rewards such as currency bonuses, portraits, character items, and portraits. This way you’re never far removed from the next reward.
– A new currency called Awesomepoints, which can be earned by playing matchmade games. These games can be either against other players or through the new ‘co-op vs bots’ mode. Awesomepoints can be used to unlock playable characters, profile portraits, and the new drop pods.
– This update also introduces medals to the game. These are unlocked by reaching various milestones in the game and can be used to show off the achievements a player is most proud of. All of the new customization options can be unlocked either by completing milestones in-game, or purchasing them with in-game currency.
– Real money will still be the only way to buy character skins, but can now also be used to buy individual playable characters and drop pods. Players will also be able to buy all current and future characters through the ‘Awesomenauts All Nauts Pack’. On top of all the characters, owners of the Pack will be granted the ‘Collector’ status, giving them an exclusive medal and skin.
It should be noted that this will not be a fresh start for Awesomenauts players, and everything they have already unlocked will be transferred to their new Free-To-Play account.
Existing players will automatically have all the content they previously owned unlocked. And as an additional thank-you, all players who registered a copy of Awesomenauts on Steam before this announcement will be granted ‘Founder’ status, with a unique medal. Players who own Awesomenauts and both the Starstorm and Overdrive expansions by May 24th will automatically be upgraded to the new ‘Awesomenauts All Nauts Pack’, which will grant them all playable characters for free, forever.
You can find Awesomenauts now on Steam.